Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We're into S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G

We have entered into a new stage of life with the little princess. I've heard other parents say that their children hear every word they say, and I know that is true. For some reason, I never thought I would be one of those parents who goes around spelling everything to everybody. As a matter of fact, I've often found it very irritating when parents spell.

I know some of you are saying that this doesn't sound right coming from an English teacher. Shouldn't I love to spell? Although I do have a secret love affair with language, I'm not always a fan of spelling because sometimes I'm not very good at it. After all, I never won a spelling bee; heck, I never even placed in a spelling bee.

Now, however, Jason and I have entered the world of letters. There are two words that we must never utter aloud in our house. They are S-T-U-P-I-D and H-A-I-R-B-O-W.

I'll tell you why these two words make up the list so far. Abby learned S----- from my mom. I've mentioned before that Abby loves "But Not The Hippopotamus". Unfortunately, my mom isn't a huge fan, and one day while reading Abby her favorite book, my mom said, "That's stupid." To which Abby replied, "Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid." I think she likes the way it sounds, and I must admit, sometimes it is altogether appropriate. If we say the word now, she says, "Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid."

The other word, though seemingly innocuous, causes big problems. Abby's hair is at that "awkward" stage, falling into her eyes and not staying behind her ears. We use a hairbow to keep the offending locks in place. Abby usually doesn't notice her hairbow, but when it is mentioned, her little hand reaches up and pulls it from her hair, causing all her bangs to come into her face. She also likes hairbows because they make her pretty. What a little girl!

So for now we spell in front of Abby. We'll see how many words are added to the list in the coming months?

Somebody remind me when children start learning to spell? How much longer do we have?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the post!! Yes, ALL parents must enter the spelling stage...we are still spelling for Isaac too, so you have at least 4 more years. I think Kindergarten is about the cut off point. Our main words are C-O-O-K-I-E, G-O, and M-O-V-I-E (this one is more for Isaac though!)