Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I think I know how those contestants on American Idol feel...

Some of you know and some of you don't that Jason and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 9 months. It's been a long process, and every month that passed added to my uncertainty that God would actually provide us with another child. I told one of my friends at school that every time I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative, it felt like I was a contestant on American Idol coming out of the audition room shaking my head no.

Well, about 5 weeks ago, I got my golden ticket so to speak. WE'RE PREGNANT! It was an amazing mix of emotions: relief, joy, excitement, a touch of sadness when I thought about telling friends who have been trying longer than we have, fear that things wouldn't go so well this time around.

We've been really good about keeping the news to ourselves, waiting to make sure that nothing was going to go wrong. I'm now 9 weeks and feeling pretty good.

I went to the doctor two weeks ago, saw baby Looper's heart beating, got the okay that so far so good.

I think that I may need to just go ahead and rent a room in Greenville since it seems that I'll be spending a lot of time there. My OB said that they would do LOTS of ultrasounds to make sure everything was okay with this little one; they'll even do an ultrasound around 28 weeks on this baby's thyroid since I have serious thyroid issues. It's crazy, I know!

Speaking of thyroid, that's another reason I need to rent a room, I'm going to see that doctor every 10 days and have blood drawn almost every week. I wish they could just put a port in and be done with it. They have to make sure that all the levels are okay and that I maintain a correct thyroid balance.

The baby makes no thyroid hormone the first trimester, so he/she is completely dependent on me for that hormone. Since I make NO thyroid hormone, they've got to keep up, up, upping my levels to keep it in the correct range. Sounds fun, right?

Anyway, all of that to ask for your prayers and to officially release it to the world that sometime around February 2 (hopefully no sooner) we'll have one more human in the world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys!!! I will pray for you through this and hopefully it will be much better than with Abby. The good thing about this one is that the docs know the problems you had before and can take measures to prevent/correct them sooner. It sounds like they are already doing that. As annoying as it may be, just remember it is the best thing for little looper!! Keep me posted on how things go. You are in my prayers! Congratulations!!!

Erin said...

That is fantastic news!!! :) We have been trying to get pregnant too for about 6 months, and are hoping to have similar news soon! Hope everything goes well this time - I am praying for you guys!

Meredith said...

Congratulations, Alicia! I'm so happy for you!

The Dales said...

Hi, I'm Meredith's sister and I too also have a thyroid problem. Did you have problems with your first pregnancy? I had about 6 US my first pregnancy and they also drew my blood a lot but not every 10 days! Just wondering what issues they look for. I know my son had heart block in utero but I was wondering what Abby had, if anything.