Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Too good not to share

I know I posted a whiny blog this morning about not getting any sleep last night, but I've got to share this experience with you. It's just too good to keep to myself. And I mean good as in too funny not to share.

Let's start at the day after Thanksgiving. Jason and I bought a Wii on that treacherous, take-your-life-into-your-own-hands-to-shop day with the expectation of putting it on ebay and making a ton of money for Christmas shopping. Well, we listed it Monday night and needless to say, it brought a grand total of $5.43 after ebay fees, shipping fees and paypal fees. Since Christmas seems to have snuck up on everyone, the treasure HAD to be mailed today to the lucky winner, so Abby and I trekked to the UPS store after lunch.

Let me say that the UPS store in and of itself is not an evil place. I'm sure that it has many wonderful qualities, and I am not one to judge based on appearances (ahem).

When we entered the store, the line was approximately 2.25 miles long, all men who had fifteen or more boxes to mail. (I exaggerate, but with a small child, it certainly seemed like that). Since you all know that Abby had NO SLEEP last night, she was not very happy to have to mail this wonderful gaming system to someone who didn't even have the decency to bid $302.00 and instead won it for $301.01. I'm not kidding, $301.01.

Anyway, the UPS people are very wise and have placed a small puzzle table right in the store. The chair Abby wanted to sit in was of course right in the middle of the line of a million people. I let her play, but when it came time to go to the counter, I had to take her with me because we all know that there are many strange and scary folk in Easley. I didn't want someone running off with my beautiful, sleep-deprived, snotty-nosed brat--uh, I mean darling.

When I picked Abby up to take her to the counter with me, she unleashed all the fury her 18 lbs could muster and twisted and screamed and yelled. People were casting "that look" at me as I wrangled with my daughter in the line. One man even tried to make funny faces at Abby, but she only yelled and screamed what I can only assume were baby profanities at him.

The one mother who had walked into the store behind me avoided my gaze, and I'm sure she was thinking, "I'm glad it's you and not me."

Thankfully God had placed an angel at the UPS store. One of the dear, grandmother-types working behind the counter came up and placed her hand on my shoulder and whispered an urgent, "Can she have a cookie?"

"Yes, she certainly can," I told her. I know that my daughter is her mother's because any mention of chocolate and sugar (especially in the same sentence) will quieten the wrath of Abby.

The angel ran to the back of the store and grabbed a cookie from somewhere. I didn't ask where and I really didn't care where to be quite honest. Those of you who are mothers understand. She handed Abby the cookie and I said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are our favorite UPS lady ever." To which the mother behind me chuckled. I wasn't kidding.

"I've got 14 grandkids," the lady told me, "and I know how to shut them up."

This kind of comment might have normally turned me off, but "shut them up" was exactly what I needed at that moment.

When Abby and I finally made it out of the store she was covered in crumbs and chocolate goop, but I didn't care.

Remember what I said yesterday about Jehovah Jireh (God provides)? Sometimes it comes in the form of chocolate and sugar.

Merry Christmas!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cookies are a Mommy's Best Friend!!! I feel your pain and isn't it wonderful that God provides in the strangest ways!! Merry Christmas!