Friday, October 30, 2009

H1N1, a sick baby, and the CDC

My greatest fear these past few months has been the swine flu. I watch the news religiously, and I've seen all the reports that pregnant women are the most vulnerable to the disease. I've talked to my OB, and he says that the risks are more secondary infections than the flu itself, but I've still not felt at ease.

Let me say here that if my trying to get the vaccine is any indication of what is going to happen when the government takes over healthcare, I want NOTHING to do with it!

I've called the health department, my OB's office, my endocrinologist's office, and everywhere in between. You would think that SOMEONE would have the dumb vaccine. Unfortunately, it's been nowhere to be had.

Last Friday Abby got sick. She had a low-grade fever, a cough and was really puny (as my mother would say). Jason and I took her to the doctor. Her flu test was negative, but she had an ear infection. All clear, right? Wrong. On Tuesday she was still sick and the cough was wicked. I took her back to the doctor only to be told that a lot of the flu tests that come back negative are in fact positive. For whatever reason, doctors are seeing a lot of false negatives. Dr. Poole was pretty certain Abby did in fact have swine flu. Oh my!

That diagnosis sent me into a panic. What was I supposed to do? Now I'd been exposed to the virus. I called around and finally got a prescription for Tamiflu (not after much begging and calling and calling and begging).

On Wednesday, the day after we found out about Abby, my sister-in-law called to say that her office may be able to give me the H1N1 vaccine. All my endocrinologist asked was that I get a release from my OB's office. Not difficult, right? Wong again.

I called my OB's office and the lady said, "We're getting that vaccine in a few weeks if you want to wait."

No thanks. I'd like to have it NOW so that I know I've gotten it.

Then she said, "Is it the single dose or the multiple dose because you can't take the multiple dose one. Oh, and you're on Tamiflue, I don't know if you can get the vaccine while you're taking Tamiflu. Call the CDC and see."

Now, don't these people get paid good money to know these things, but anyway.

I called the CDC - fun for sure.

I could take the vaccine while on Tamiflu. The dosage my doctor had was the single one, so that was a go as well.

I prayed on my way to Greenville that the stars would align and I would be able to get the shot. All went well and I'm now vaccinated.

Shew! What a relief and a hassle.

Let this be a lesson, NO GOVERNMENT HEALTHCARE!

Oh, and Abby's doing very well. The virus wasn't very bad for her. The cough still lingers, but in a few days that will be gone as well. Pray Jason doesn't get sick because I hear there's a shortage of Tamiflu now!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Glad that Abby is feeling better!

Lauren Sullens said...

It's been crazy hard to get the seasonal flu shot here. There's a lot of lying out there. I had an appointment at our ped. office for my youngest two to get their shots because they weren't going to have the shot for anyone three and up. We were going to have to wait for the oldest. When we arrived at the office, I was told they only had the mist, so my youngest was not going to be able to get her shot. I left to run some errands and left the older two with Clint. When they gave my middle her mist, Clint really pushed that surely they really must have something for a four-year-old somewhere in the building. What do you know? They found one! I ended up getting a shot for Lottie at the health department the next day. Of course, insurance doesn't cover there, but I was tired of the run around.
The H1N1 vaccine has been easy to get at the health department for children and adults age 2 and up. But then, I'm also pregnant. Clint hasn't asked for his. Mae and Cora had to wait a month because of getting the seasonal flu mist, which is a live virus.
Sorry you've had to deal with all the junk too!