Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dragons, alligators, and getting up in the middle of the night

Abby has always been a wonderful sleeper - she most definitely takes after her mother. She started sleeping through the night when she was about 6 weeks old, and she still asks to go to bed when she's tired. It's been a blessing really, but lately she's started waking up in the middle of the night screaming. These are scared screams not your average, I want attention, screams.

Here's my problem: when I ask Abby in the morning what scared her in the night she'll say various things, a dinosaur, an alligator, this morning it was a dragon. Jason does a great job of taking her into her room and scaring away whatever came in during the night.

My question is, I guess, what's normal? Is it normal for a 2 and a half year old to suddenly, out of the blue, start having nightmares?

We've never done this before, and I'm at a loss.

Any advice would be awesome.

4 comments:

Kari Wall said...

Alicia, Addison started with the "things that go bump in the night" business a few months ago. (She'll be 3 in January.) For her it was a big bad wolf. We finally convinced her that there was no such thing. I hope y'all can get a handle on that pretty quick. Love you, Kari

Unknown said...

I know I don't have kids, but I think you should pray with her. You should talk to her about how Jesus is bigger than what she is afraid of.

Amanda Eron said...

Hey Alicia...yep we started nightmares around two, two and a half. One night Rebekah kept saying that Santa was in her room. Sometimes she would just wake up screaming irrationally for awhile, and then she'd just go right back to sleep. It lasted pretty consistently for a few months then tapered off to just the occasional bad dream. We would hold her, and we tried praying with her, and it usually helped, but not always. I wonder if it's not worse with girls...the whole overactive imagination thing because I know we weren't watching scary stuff. But yep it's totally normal!

Debra G. said...

It must be the age. Ashton wakes up at night. Sometimes he cries and I'll pat his back for a few minutes and he falls back to sleep. Other times he comes and crawls into bed with Daniel and I. After he calms down, Daniel carries him back to bed and it's over. He's never said that he was afraid of anything. Sarah never went through that stage.