Wednesday, January 26, 2011

About Daddies


Since my sister doesn't have a blog - I know, all science and no fun - I thought I would share this story with you, which turned out to be quite a lesson in the care that daddies take of their daughters.

About a year or so ago my baby sister moved into an apartment. It was her first time being truly alone and on her own, and my dad, knowing my sister, put a chain lock on her front door. Several months after she moved in, she went to visit a friend in the same complex and noticed that her door didn't have a chain on it, so she said, "You know, Katie, you really should call maintenance and tell them that you're missing the chain on your front door." To which Katie replied, "No, Heidi, your dad installed that chain on your door when you moved in. Didn't you know that?"

Well, obviously, my dad put the lock on without my sister ever knowing it - for her safety - and my sister credited it with just being a part of the apartment.

Do you see where this is going? My Daddy took care of my baby sister and she never even knew it - and wouldn't have known it had her friend not told her the truth.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I was out of school on break and Jason had taken the week off after Christmas to be home with us. Jason left to go play disc golf, and I stayed at home to wash clothes. Now, we have dryer issues. Those of you have been to my house while I dry clothes will recall the horrible sound our dryer made. It was something akin to a pig being slaughtered and I couldn't dry clothes during naptime because no one could sleep through that racket. We assumed it was a felt pad that had decided to go MIA, but I realized later that it was something worse.

While Jason was gone that morning, I put a load of clothes in the dyer, turned it on and noticed that it didn't sound like it was moving. It was running, but the barrel wasn't turning. I turned it off and called Jason. By the time he got home, and I went back in the laundry room, the top of the dyer was hot to the touch and when we looked in the barrel we could see the back glowing red. Jason and my nephew pulled the dryer away from the wall and we could see burn marks on the dyer and the wall and soot was coming from the back.

Now, I tell you, we were so very close to a major catastrophe, but God - my heavenly Daddy - was taking care of me without my even knowing it. Kind of like my earthly Daddy did for my baby sister.

Scripture tells us in Matthew 7:11 -If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

That's the thing about Daddies, they take care of their children, even when they don't know it.

1 comments:

Heidi Dodson said...

"all science and no fun" :) Sounds like I am a really boring person...ha ha. One of favorite stories thanks for writing it -since I am so boring that I don't blog!