Thursday, January 27, 2011

What I'm praying for Abby


My mom gave me James Dobson's book The New Strong Willed Child , and it is a book that we desperately needed in my house.

You see, that little rocker girl has an iron will. Dobson would call her a revolutionary, and I've no doubt that she has the potential to be just that.

I started reading the book, and of course, when I read anything I have to talk it over with folks, so several weeks ago, I was talking to a wonderful friend and colleague of mine who also happens to have a strong willed child.

She gave me a wonderful prayer to pray for my Abby. You see, the strong will isn't a bad thing - it is something that God gave Abby because he knew she would need it. After all, you don't start life at 2lbs 15oz and only stay in the NICU 10 days, coming home weighing a whopping 3lbs 6oz and no be strong willed.
It was something that served her well in those early days, but left unguided and if not taught to control that will and reign it in, the results could and most certainly would be disastrous.

So, what am I praying? I'm praying that Abby will be strong willed for her Savior, that she will cling to him with an overwhelming passion. After all, aren't our children arrows in our hands, not to be broken, but to be aimed and shot into this world?

What do you pray for your children?

2 comments:

Debra G. said...

Sarah was/is one of those revolutionaries! And I totally agree on reading Dobson's book. It was the one thing that kept me sane when everyone else was shaking their heads. I knew because of that that things would be okay. And, they are! She's a treat! With your guidance, Abby will be the same and you can dye the white hairs!

I prayed for all my kids that whenever they did something wrong that someone would catch them immediatly. God answered that one for the kids and it's helped with guiding Sarah's strong will.

Chelsea said...

Jackson.
:o)
He's the one. I have been encouraged to remember back to my brother and the challenges my parents faced with his strong will, and then to look at him today. I am so proud of the man he has become and how his strength of character is used to glorify God. Jackson and I were talking this afternoon about what I pray for him. I pray that God will use his rebellious heart to rebel against the world and ungodliness. I pray that the characteristics he possesses that make him NOT desire to please people will also be used to help him focus on the fact that he only needs to live his life to please God. I ask that his strong will and strength of character be used to solidify his walk with Christ that he not be easily swayed, and that God will bring him to a knowledge of Himself and willful obedience early so that more of his life can be used change the world for Christ. Like you, I believe if anyone can make a difference in this world, it's going to be someone like Jackson. I also pray for all of my children that God will be gracious with them and not allow my failures as a person or parent get in the way of His plans or purpose.