Thursday, January 22, 2009

Just a Vapor

Sometimes the reality of the brevity of life comes crashing down on us.

I was late leaving my house this morning. I typically try to get out the door between 6:50 and 6:55; usually it is closer to 7 when I actually pull out of my driveway. This morning I got Abby up, changed her clothes and her diaper, gave her some milk and then knocked impatiently on the bathroom door for Jason to hurry up and get out of the shower so that I could leave.

I suppose I could have left Abby in our bedroom to play for the few minutes it would have taken Jason to finish, but I'm quite certain our house would not be standing if I had done that. Abby has the unique talent of finding anything and everything that is dangerous in our house.

When I finally pulled out of the driveway at 7:03, I was in a snit. I was late, frustrated and cold.

To top it off, I got behind a school bus. This was not the kind of school bus that only picks up 2 kids, no, this was the school bus that stops at EVERY SINGLE DIVEWAY to pick up kids who think that they have all the time in the world to get on the bus, choose the best seat and knit a blanket. I exaggerate, but when you're late, it certainly feels that way.

As I was listening to the radio behind the offensive bus, I heard there was a wreck on Highway 25 at Highway 414. This is my turn. When I was in college, there was no stop light at this particular intersection. Drivers had to simply punch it across the road and hope for the best. After a terrible wreck there where 2 students were killed, a light was installed. This morning the light didn't save an NGU student.

Jason called and called while I was in class to make sure that I wasn't in the wreck. When I was able to finally call him back I assured him I was safe.

I'm reminded that sometimes it's a blessing to be late. If I had left at 6:45, I probably would have been there at that intersection at the time of the accident.

Our God is a God of provision. He directs all our steps, even if they are late, even when they end in tragedy. "His ways are not our ways, his thought not our thoughts." Praise be to God that he is the one in control and not me.

Please pray for the Huff family. I didn't teach this student, but I know her family covets our prayers.

2 comments:

Karis said...

Perfect timing...His timing. If he loves you enough to make you late to school this morning...just think of what else is in store for you!

Erin said...

I know the feeling of being late for school - but I am thankful that you were safe! Tim told me about the accident yesterday...that poor family. That intersection is still so dangerous.