Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Fear of Tornados

I am deathly afraid of thunderstorms. Those who know me best know this about me. The way I figure it, I'm more likely to go in a thunderstorm or a tornado than I am in a plane crash or a drive-by shooting. I don't like the idea of being struck by lightening. It's just terrifying.

Yesterday was a thunderstorm day. I felt myself tensing up when Dale Gilbert announced that we were under a tornado watch. Why watch? Wouldn't we all be better off in the bathtub with the mattress over our heads? The answer is a definite yes!

We were going to dinner, but were delayed by the frequent lightening. When we did leave, we caught a glimpse of the most beautiful rainbow. It seemed that we were chasing the end of the rainbow. This was wonderful news for me and my husband because we could definitely use a pot of gold. Unfortunately, like all good rainbows, the end was strangely elusive.

I started thinking, this is how my life is. Always running but never quite getting to the pot of gold at the end. Why do we run for the elusive? Why do I chase things I can never attain?

I pray that when I do reach the end, God will say to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant" and I will have reached the gold at the end.

1 comments:

ashleyking said...

So, I'm glad you're not dead, I'm glad I have someone to share the fear of inclimate weather with, and I'm gonna need to be more like you. Seriously. You're like a female version of Jesus. :)

I love you and miss you. You're so insightful...