Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Generation Me

On Saturday, a dear, beautiful friend of mine came to the house. I haven't seen her in years, but she was home from Montgomery where she is stationed on the Air Force base, and she called and asked if she could stop by. Of course, I said yes without hesitation.

I have known Rachel since she and her family moved to my hometown when we were in elementary school. She has always amazed me. She could run fast, sing, dance, and she always seemed so free. I'm not free. I worry about what people say and what people mean. I concern myself with things that shouldn't matter one whit, but Rachel doesn't have that problem. She speaks her mind freely, not worrying about what others think. She dyes her hair vibrant colors and wears her makeup boldly! I'm timid.

It is hard to understand how our friendship has stood the test of time, but it has. I'm realizing as I get older that we are probably more alike than we are different. Rachel is toning down, and I am becoming more outgoing.

All of this to say that we had a lovely hour together. We talked about politics and the world situation, our families, our hopes and dreams, so many things.

She made a comment that really made me think. She said that the generation coming after us is Generation ME. I am proudly a Generation X'er, but the students I teach are completely Generation ME. What can you do for ME. What do I get out of this. How does this concern ME.
I don't want it to all be about ME. I have problems. I overreact and underreact all at the same time. I am lazy and self-absorbed. I constantly need to be reminded that it ISN'T all about ME.
What do we do with a generation that is self-consumed? How do we break through the fog of self-absorption and let them know that it is more about others than about self?

I don't know, but I beg that you pray with me that God will make himself mighty that it may be all about HIM.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Honestly? I think it starts with parents like you, Alicia. You have to be the change, and I think I know you well enough to say that you already are. Teach your beautiful daughter that the purpose of life is all about loving Jesus, and pray that other parents will do the same.

ashleyking said...

Wow. That previous comment was great. Although it's a great thing to humble yourself and it's what you should do, you have to give yourself some credit and a little bit of slack. You are amazing and even if you do make mistakes, you're definitely NOT alone. Abby is so blessed to have you and Jason. She couldn't have better parents.