Sunday, March 2, 2008

I AM

I have a lot of time to think when I am in my car. I drive 45 minutes to and from work every day. The only good thing about the commute is the time to reflect and ponder and listen to talk radio. I love talk radio.

This week, I was listening to Nicole Nordeman's song "I AM," and I realized that it is so interesting what God chose to call himself when he revealed his name to Moses in Exodus 3. Think about it. He could have named himself anything. ANYTHING! He chose I AM.

Later this week, I was playing Scrabulous with a student. It is my favorite hobby besides listening to talk radio, and she said that she learning how to deal with her "can't wait" personality. I'm a "can't wait" person. I can't wait to be on spring break. I can't wait to go to bed at night. I can't wait to watch television. I can't wait until summer. I can't wait for so many things that I can't wait my life away. It's a shame really.

God understands my can't wait personality. Jesus died for my can't wait problems. He is I AM. Present tense. Today. I AM -- you fill in the blank. How comforting.

God showed Moses his personality, his character, his dependability, his trustworthiness. I'm none of those things, but God is. I AM. His name was everything and he is the I AM, the only one.

I may not be completely sure of who I am, but God is completely aware of who He is. He is I AM!

1 comments:

ashleyking said...

Maybe I should write about deeper stuff on my blog. You're so wise and you take things out of everyday context and see how amazing God is through those things. I need to learn how to do that better.
I think we're all "can't wait" kind of people. Our world is so rushed and we base everything on time. Things have to go according to schedule or everyone flips out. We seem to worry about schedules and to-do lists rather than friendships and worry about tomorrow rather than today. Ugh. I'll get off the soapbox now. :) Love you!