Monday, April 6, 2009

Jesus Saves


All my life I've stood in church and sung the hymn "Jesus Saves". We would belt out stanzas and chorus: "We have heard the joyful sound, Jesus saves, Jesus saves." I never thought too much about it. When you grow up Southern Baptist, you take a lot of the Christian lingo and hymns for granted.

We've recently had some pretty intense attacks in our congregation; people are hurting and at moments, Satan seems to be winning. As I sat in service yesterday, I listened to the praise band sing a new rendition of the old hymn, and it occurred to me. Jesus saves EVERYTHING. He saves souls, of course. But, he also saves families and marriages and teenagers from bad decisions. He saves children from injury and sons and daughters from disease.

Our God does more than simply save our eternities, he saves our todays. I don't know that I've ever realized that before. I've often thought of him as fire insurance.

As I walk through this holy week, I hope that I realize just how much God has truly done. Heaven is an amazing, indescribable reward, but having a savior who wants to walk with me and bless me and show his incredible love to me today is beyond words.

I hope and pray that you too know him, that you are awed by his great sacrifice and love for you.

2 comments:

ashleyking said...

That was greatly needed. :) Thank you for sharing that.

Unknown said...

You are very right. Praise Him for saving todays.