Friday, March 12, 2010

Abby's Adventure


Abby went on an adventure on Saturday with Nana and Heidi.

As with any great adventure, a backpack was necessary. My mom and sister decided they would take Abby to the annual Cat in the Hat event at McAlister Square in Greenville. For those of you unfamiliar with local, children's events, let me explain. The organization Ready 4 Reading hosts the event once a year to promote readiness for reading - thus their name. Their mission is to prepare children to read. Take a look at the statistics on their website - simply astounding.

The Cat in the Hat is an event where children can come and get 2 slightly used books and one new book and participate in fun activities that promote readiness to read.

With Jake, I didn't think it would be feasible for me to go, so I told my mom to go ahead and take Abby.

And the adventure was born.

Because we are really into Dora the Explorer right now at my house, Abby had to pack a backpack (which I found out later her Aunt Heidi hauled all over the place). All great adventurers have backpacks. And M&Ms. Did I mention that she had to have M&Ms before she would go? She is my daughter - books and chocolate - who could ask for more than that?

When they got there, Abby immediately picked out a Dora book - see what I mean, completely obsessed.

She put an alphabet puzzle together, dug in paper grass for prizes and brought home a board book and another book called The Kissing Hand.

After they finished at The Cat in the Hat, Nana and Heidi took Abby for Chick-fil-A. By the time she got home, she was completely spent. It was some outing for sure.

I wanted to share this organization and event with my friends in Bloggerville because it is important that we parents read to our children and expose them to books.

What book was your favorite as a child?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had so many favorites. I remember many of them from reading to my brothers. I really liked "Are you my mother?" of "Five Minutes Peace."

Kellie Camp said...

I love The Kissing Hand but my childhood favorite was Imogene's Antlers. BTW, there is a follow up book to The Kissing Hand called A Pocket Full of Kisses. It's about the little racoon getting a sibling and how the mother shares her love between both. So cute!

Anonymous said...

I bought a copy of The Kissing Hand last weekend. Such a great book--Abby knows how to pick 'em! Ihad so many favorites as a child, I don't even know where to begin picking a "most favorite."

Meredith said...

My mom gave me The Kissing Hand when I went to college and I boohoo'ed every time I read it!

But my fave book as a child was Charlotte's Web. Oh, and Where the Sidewalk Ends!

my year in the cuisinart! said...

It looks like she likes the hair clip I gave her the night before. Love it!