Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Looking Up!


Yesterday we were hit with some wicked thunderstorms in Pickens, and as I type this I hear thunder rolling again outside. I'm not a huge fan of thunderstorms. Jason and I got married in March and at the beginning of April that year we had a horrible thunderstorm/tornado come through town. I was in my car headed home after having lunch with a friend, and I've never been so scared in my life. Add to that that Jason and I lived in an old, old farmhouse when we first married, and said house was right across the street from some railroad tracks. Everytime it stormed, lightening would pop off the railroad tracks and make our whole house shake. That was the end of my love affair with thunderstorms.

I remember being a teenager and sitting, watching the lightening dance in the distance and the thunder roll through the sky. Not anymore. Now I curl up and pray for it to pass.

That being said, we were at Pizza Inn when this monster came through. My sister-in-law said that on the doppler it was purple over Pickens, and for those of you unfamiliar with WYFF4's radar system, that means we were in the midst of quite the storm. Think of poor Dorothy and Toto as their house went flying through the air. My dad said the hail was the size of softballs.

Anyway, after it was over, Jason and I had to head to the hospital to visit a family member, and as we drove, we saw trees across the roads and debris everywhere, but up in the sky was a double rainbow, almost a full arc. It was amazing. These pictures are ones that Jason took.

And you know what I realized, if I was looking up at the rainbow, I couldn't look at all the debris and trash on the roads. I wonder if that is why God placed that rainbow up so high when he put it there for Noah. Maybe Noah was overwhelmed with all the destruction that the flood had caused. Can you imagine, bodies everywhere, mud, everything that you knew gone? But when he looked up there was that beautiful, arching rainbow - God's promise.

We asked Abby what a rainbow meant, and she couldn't tell us, so I said, "A rainbow means that God will take care of us." And it's true, isn't it? God promised to never flood the earth again, and that ultimately means that he's going to care for us. He's going to bring some pretty hefty storms, but in the end there's an unfailing promise that He's going to take care of us. He'll never destroy that way again.

Praise him! Praise him.

0 comments: