Saturday, June 5, 2010

Some Recommendations

Well, the elusive camera cord is still missing, so I thought that I would post what I've been reading lately. I suppose I could blame my lengthy absences in Bloggerville on the fact that I've been reading, but that just sounds a little weak. Regardless, since I've gotten my Nook, I've found it much easier to read.



I have to say that LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Nook. I didn't think that I would get as much use out of it as I have, but it is easy to use and best of all, I can use it while I'm feeding Jake, which isn't true for a traditional book.

Anyway, since I've gotten it, I've been reading, reading, reading, which isn't always a good thing since I'm trying to teach two summer school classes, but the distraction is blissful sometimes.

Here's what I've read - all of them good. Let me know if you've read them and what you think.

Some Girls by Jillian Lauren


I saw this author on The View one morning. She writes her memoir about the time she spent in a harem for the prince of Brunei. It is a troubling account, but well worth the read. I have to warn you that she is a secular writer so the language is often vulgar.

The Help by Katheryn Stockett



This is Stockett's first book, and it is FANTASTIC! She chronicles three women living in the South - two black maids and one white middle-class woman. She talks about the struggles of African Americans during the time. I couldn't help but think about To Kill A Mockingbird while I was reading this book. I highly recommend it.

Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef


This is not a typical read for me, but I noticed it on the top 100, and I couldn't resist. It is insightful and truly helpful for understanding what is going on in the Middle East.

Last - Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell



I am now addicted to this guy's writings. This particular book is about how epidemics begin. He discusses things like Sesame Street and Blues Clues and how those children's shows became so popular. He talks about why some things take off and why something flop. I think about Silly Bands every time I open the book. I fully intend to read his book Outliers next, which is about why some people are successful and others aren't. As a teacher, I've found this book most interesting.

Those are my suggestions so far. I'll let you know if I come across any other great reads.

Happy Summer!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow you have been reading ALOT!!

Meredith said...

I LOVED The Help. Some Girls sounds wonderful.

Keith loves the Malcolm Gladwell books. if you like those, you should read Freakonomics.