Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I don't usually post things like this.

And, I really don't, but those of you who are news junkies like me realize that there is something brewing in our country that needs to be addressed.

Maybe you've heard of pastor Terry Jones and his church Dove World Outreach Center. They are planning to burn the Koran this Saturday, September 11. He posits that the Koran is of the devil and blasphemous, and I agree with that completely, but the question that must be addressed is if this is the best way to make a statement against a group of people who we disagree with.

Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 9:22 that we should become all things to all men so that we may win some. I often tell my classes that alienation and degrading speech are not effective tools in argument. I can't help but think that this is what Pastor Jones is doing - degrading, tearing down.

Even the head commander David Petraeus says that this church's actions could be very detrimental to our work in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan.

You won't hear me ask this often, but will you go here and write a polite, thoughtful email to Pastor Jones asking him to reconsider his protest for Saturday? They may not listen, but at least we will have tried.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Couldn't agree with you more. This is not the way to win over the unbelievers. I'm scared for our troops and saddened that he's influencing minds.

Unknown said...

my goodness! As a christian how would he feel if they burned the bible? Does that not make him angry to think about? He should put himself in their shoes!