Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A book worth reading


I have to share with you a book that I recently found called The Shack. It is absolutely incredible. The head of humanities at North Greenville recommended it, but I hadn't picked it up because with a one year old, who has time to really sit down and read for pleasure.

I finally broke down and bought it on Amazon, and started reading on Thursday. I was finished by Sunday night. That is quite a feat considering that Abby's birthday party and the fourth of July all happened in that span of time.

I'll briefly recap it for you - without giving away the plot of course.

Mack's young daughter is kidnapped and murdered at a shack in the wilderness. Mack receives a note from God asking him to come to the shack for a weekend meeting with him. Mack is reluctant but finally goes and meets God.

I know it sounds strange; I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to be one of the most amazing books I've read in a long time! Please take the time to pick it up and read. If any of you have read it, please share your thoughts.

2 comments:

Karis said...

The Shack changed....CHANGED my life and how I viewed God. I have always thought of God as this militant who just wants to take good things away for me being bad. The Shack made me fall in love with God and take responsibility for who I am. The Shack also made me ok with the fact that I don't have to understand the Trinity, I just have to believe that it exists! I love this book and it helped me in so many ways!

Meredith said...

I'm gonna get this book soon. Keith saw an article on it in the Wall Street Journal or NY Times (I can't remember which), and it sounded fascinating.
Thanks for your review!