Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Small and Mighty

Abby went to the doctor yesterday for her one year checkup. It's amazing how much she's grown in a year and even more amazing still how small she really is. She weighed in at 14lbs 14oz. For those of you who don't have children (or for those of you who are like me and have no idea what a one year old is supposed to weigh) Abby is at .5% on the growth charts. Let me put that in perspective for you since I've always had problems with numbers. 95.5% of children a year old are bigger than my Abby. She was in the 15% for her height. In other words, Abby's going to be short and small. Dr. Anderson said that he doesn't want to "fatten her up" and make her someone she isn't.

With all of her personality, I think she'll be able to handle being small. She screamed and screamed at Dr. Anderson as he poked and prodded her. He took it in stride. I guess after you've been practicing pediatrics for 40 years, nothing much bothers you.

When it came time for shots, I thought I was prepared. We've done shots before. Two nurses walked in the room, one with shots in hand, the other prepared for a choke hold. They gave Abby a shot in her leg; no problem. Then one nurse bear hugged her while the other gave her a shot in one arm. I was okay, tears and all until I saw how much Abby was bleeding. I lost it then. It is a good thing my mom was with me. She kept saying, "It's okay, Alicia. She's just mad they're holding her." I cried.

After a shot in each arm and a blue plastic dinosaur, things were okay. Abby hasn't fussed at all.

Maybe I'm the wimp. Good thing I'm not small like Abby.

2 comments:

Debra G. said...

Hey, at least she's now on the chart! I'm sorry about all the blood. That happened at Ashtons last appointment and it was all I could do to say nice things to the nurse! I know she didn't mean it, but it's so hard to see.

Next time she get's shots, have them give her a sucker. Sarah would take any shot they gave her as long as there was a sucker involved!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, let her be little!!! That's what I told Emma Claire's doctor at her 1 year check up! She is still only in the 8th percentile, so a little bigger, but much taller. She is in 75th for height!! I figure they will not have weight problems like me when they get older!!!

Don't worry about crying at the shots, we all do it at least once!!!