Monday, July 21, 2008

A Foray into Cloth Diapering


So I must be a glutton for punishment. I've been thinking about cloth diapering for a while now, but I've never taken the initiative to try it myself. I think that something inside of me thought that you had to start something like that when your child was born; you can't pick it up when the child is say, one.

Please don't be confused. I'm not one of those super-environmental women who does everything in order to save the earth that humans are, according to the media, destroying at an incredible rate. I'm simply a woman who is very, very, very frugal (okay, okay, cheap, a tightwad). I've also realized that although we aren't killing the earth as so many (Al Gore) would like for us to believe, we are called to be good stewards of it, and if I can use cloth diapers instead of plastic ones, then perhaps I should do that simply as a steward of this earth.

It all came about by chance really. We were at some friends' house, and they happen to use cloth diapers. I'm not sure how we even got on the subject. It's not like you're eating tacos one minute and suddenly the next you're talking about cloth diapers, but anyhow. I mentioned I'd like to try cloth diapers, and she said she'd like to get rid of hers to someone who would use them. Up to that point, everyone they offered them to turned them down, emphatically. We took them, and here we are.

It's not as bad as it seems. The smell isn't wonderful, but what dirty diaper smells especially good. Abby's had some issues with leakage, but I'm still learning.

I haven't let her wear them to church yet because I feel the ladies there already think I'm a freak because I breastfed Abby for a year. I'm just not willing to explain that one yet.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

2 comments:

Debra G. said...

Well you are a freak, but not because you breastfed! I've been thinking about the cloth diaper thing as well. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to begin now, but maybe for the next one if your time as a guinea pig goes well!

Lauren Sullens said...

Hey, Alicia! I wish I'd seen your blog sooner! Yay to you for cloth diapering and breastfeeding to a year! I have done both with all three of my girls and highly recommend it to everyone I know!