Thursday, July 10, 2008

Shadows - A Lesson From Abby

Most of you know how blessed Jason and I have been. Abby started sleeping through the night consistently at about 6-8 weeks of age. Life was back to normal, so when the princess wakes up in the middle of the night, we know that something is wrong. Well, last night, we had our Sunday School class over like we do every Wednesday night. Of course, Abby didn't get into bed until later than usual (somewhere around 9:30). Jason patiently took her in her room and rocked her to sleep because we knew there was no way we could just lay her down with all the noise from our guests.

He said that she was dozing in his arms when she popped her head up and saw their shadows on the wall. Apparently, the shadows scared her some. Jason turned on the lamp in her room and she went to sleep with no problems. Well, at about 11:30 last night, we heard her crying. I let her whimper for a few minutes and then went in to comfort her. She snuggled into my shoulder and went back to sleep; all was well.

This morning, Jason and I were talking about it, and we figure that she either had a night terror or she saw the shadows again and became scared.

I was sitting at the table thinking about it, and I realized that there was an amazing lesson in that. Remember Psalm 23 - "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me"? I'm scared of shadows too. I've often been characterized as one who is afraid of her own shadow.

But really, what power do shadows have? None! I know that they indicate that there is something there, but often they are much bigger than the real thing, and in order to have a shadow you must always have light! Christ is the light of the world, and we have no need to fear the shadow if we remember the light!

I heard David Gallamore at Rock Springs in Easley say one time that he would rather be hit by the shadow of the bus than by the bus itself. That stuck with me. Shadows may seem scary, but they really aren't.

It's amazing what a cry in the night can help me remember.

1 comments:

ashleyking said...

Wow. Just wow. I really don't even know what to say in response to that except Thank You.