Friday, October 24, 2008

Adventures in Voting

Yesterday was an adventurous day. For one, I got my hair cut (thank you, Debbie) for the first time in 4 months. I must say my eyebrows needed the visit more than my hair, but that is another post.

Before I could get my hair done, I had to negotiate an arrangement with my mom. You see, my Nannie needed to get a flu shot and vote, something my mother was going to take her to do (Nannie doesn't drive) after my mom finished eating lunch with a friend, but I needed my mom to come with me so that she could entertain Abby while I was being remade.

We took Nannie for the flu shot, not a big deal, and then went to the administrative building to let Nannie vote. Apparently if you are over 65 you can vote absentee simply because of the fact you are over 65. I think this is a brilliant idea considering the line that was at the administrative building.

You'll remember that Abby and I went to the same building last week so that I could have my voter registration officially changed; well, this trip rendered no less entertainment than the last.

Here's how the conversation went with several of the folks in line.

A tall, white-haired man standing right behind my nannie: "Well, is she (meaning Abby) going to be a preacher of a politician."

Me: "NEITHER", said rather emphatically. I think this may have offended the man. Perhaps I should have explained that the reason she can't be preacher is because she is southern baptist and they don't allow women preachers. I could have told him that I wouldn't mind if she were a missionary. I do love Jesus. I teach at North Greenville University, and there is a praise song as a ringback on my phone. I didn't get a chance to explain because then the woman and man behind him entered the conversation.

Little bent over man again with white hair: "Look at him."

Little old man's wife: "He sure is big for his age."

Now let me stop here. These people are standing in line to VOTE for the next president of our country. Abby is dressed from head-to-toe in PINK. AND, she is really SMALL for her age. They never asked how old she was.

Little man: "How old is he?" Now he asks

Me: "15 months."

Little man: "13 months. Wow. He gets around great. Is it a he or a she?"

Me: "A she."

Little man: "He's doing great then."

This was the end of our conversation. Nannie was almost through the line. As the talkative couple approached the counter I heard something about power of attorney and the fact that the woman needed to vote for the man.

I think I should be a screener for the voter registration and election board. Abby will help me.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny!!! I don't know why people feel the need to comment on babies...they always get it wrong. People have said Emma Claire is really big for her age too, of course that works if they think she is 2!! I am sorry they thought Abby was a boy, she looks nothing like a boy...she is a beautiful princess!!!