Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Something to Ponder

What do we do when Christianity becomes inconvenient? What happens when what we believe (or what we say we believe) puts a strain on us or causes us to be uncomfortable?

My sister gave me the book Under the Overpass, and I've almost finished it. I can't say that it has been a comfortable book to read because it certainly has not.

What WOULD I do if a homeless man or woman were to sit beside me in church. That spot is, after all, reserved for my sister and my husband. What would I do if the homeless woman came and drank a beer on my porch or asked for a ride to the doctor's office (something that has happened to some wonderful friends of ours).

What does it mean to "do this unto the least of these"? What do I do when Christ calls and his voice doesn't fit into my comfortable, easy, posh life? What then?

I'm afraid I've been too guilty of favoring convenience over conviction. So many times I tell Christ, "later, when things are easier, when life is slower, when I know more scripture, when I have more money, when I have more time, later." When have I ever had more time, money, influence, education?

Excuses.

So, let me know, what do we do when Christianity becomes inconvenient.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, all too often we wait till later and miss too many opportunities! I pray that we will all be better at the "Least of These" and seize the opportunities God gives us. Nice Post Alicia, I need that little reminder today!!