Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Where Have I Been?

I can't believe how little I have written this month. I guess I could blame it on the weather or on the stack of papers that won't seem to leave my desk. I could say that I've been uninspired or that Abby has drawn too much of my attention, but they would all be excuses.

Simply put, I've been lazy. I haven't been diligent.

Well, I'm back now. I'll be here, thinking of new things to post, and inspiring few with my words.

On Tuesday Abby and I took a trip to the local voter registration office. I've been avoiding going there because I didn't want to hassle with Abby and the ladies behind the glass. Several months ago, I decided enough was enough; I needed to get my voter registration changed. You see, Jason and I will have been married 4 years in March, and my voter registration still has my maiden name and my parents' address on it. Please don't be alarmed and think that I haven't been voting. I have been. I just went to the polling place with my card and voted with my maiden name self.

I know that isn't the right thing to do, but we've all made mistakes (or blatant transgressions).

Anyway, back to the story, Abby and I went up there because several months ago I mailed in my card with the correct information filled in on the back of the card (just like the instructions say to do if you need your name or address changed). Amazingly enough, Pickens County Voter Registration didn't change anything on my card and simply mailed me a new card as a replacement.

So, Tuesday, off we jaunted to get the card changed to reflect my married status. It would be an interesting day if people thought I was still single. Can you imagine! How funny.

On the way to the administrative building, I passed the local food pantry. I think I knew that it was down off the road near the social services building, but I never thought much of it. After all, Pickens doesn't have a homeless problem.

I was wrong. Tuesday morning at 11:00, there was a line out the door. I was stunned. This is where my title comes in. WHERE HAVE I BEEN? I know of three homeless people in Pickens. There is the man with the long white hair and scraggly beard who carries his umbrella when it is bright and sunny and who wears his coat in the dead of summer. Then there is the man who smiles brightly at all who pass and throws his hand up in a friendly wave to anyone who glances in his direction and finally there is the woman with the crazy hair and glass eye who walks on the side of the road.

This is all I know about. I guess I've been under a rock. I'm not saying these folks are homeless, but they must be in great need to find their way to the food pantry to wait in line. How much food do I waste in a week. I know there is some hamburger in my fridge now that has gone bad. What an eye opener.

My sister gave me a book called Under the Overpass. It's about these guys who decided to live as homeless men for 5 months. They have recorded their experience.

God, give me eyes to see those who are so close to me who have such great need.

1 comments:

Tammy said...

I know exactly what you means about not seeing the things/people around you. We all get consumed with our own little lives that we sometimes forget that there are others out there and alot of them are in great need. I pray that I see as well.
Thanks for your insight. I love reading your blogs. They really help me.