Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's A Family Thing



Why is that poor, poor girl wearing that crocheted hat is probably what you're asking yourself right now. I know; I know. It really is a pity. Apparently, someone passed a law saying that you have to dress your kids in the most horrible clothes and then take pictures of them for the sake of posterity.

No, I'm kidding. It really isn't that bad, but the picture above is a picture of me at Easter 1983. To top it off, I'm wearing black shoes and white stockings. What an atrocity. Of course, my baby sister wasn't born at the time (she wouldn't come along until October). If she had been around, she would have told my mom that I looked horrible and that the least she could do would be to at least put something other than black patent leather shoes on me.

But alas, here we are in 2008, looking back at old photos.

You see, my mom has been going through pictures for a big family surprise for my grandmother. I figure it's pretty safe to post that on here since Nannie doesn't even own a computer and certainly doesn't know what a blog is.

I have taken some of these family treasures and posted them below. It makes me smile and maybe you'll get to smile today too.


Here's my great grandma Anderson. She married my great grandfather when she was only 14. He was 20 years her senior, and he died shortly after their tenth child was born. She lived 70 years as a widow. I attribute the ticked off look on Grandma Anderson's face to the fact that she had 10 kids and they couldn't get her any better of a Christmas tree than the Charlie Brown one in the background. Maybe they made up for it in gifts. The girl in the picture is my aunt Lena. At least she's smiling.


This is great grandma Powell. This picture was taken in 1975. Maybe I got the shawl from the above picture from her. It kind of looks like it, doesn't it? My only gripe is that Grandma Powell didn't have to wear the hat.


Here's the last one. This is me, my sister, Nannie and Papa at Thanksgiving in 1983. My sister was barely 2 months old. The funniest thing about this picture is that my grandmother still has the same stove and dishes that she did in this one. She still uses them. Twenty-five years later and the only thing she's changed are the rims on her glasses and the chairs around the table. After my Papa died, she got new kitchen chairs. I guess she did that because she knew Papa wouldn't be putting his hunting boots in the seats anymore.

1 comments:

ashleyking said...

I love that first picture of you! Sooo good!