Friday, November 14, 2008

Does It Make Me Weird

I know most of you are thinking to yourselves, "Yes, of course you're weird, Alicia," but that isn't exactly what I'm getting at here.

I've been wondering lately if there is something wrong with getting very irritated when you see grammatical errors in places where they shouldn't be.

There was a day in the not so distant past where I wouldn't have recognized a grammar error if it had the words GRAMMAR ERROR written beside it. Those days are gone, however, as I now teach innocent freshmen the importance of egregious grammar errors and as I encourage them to repent of their misuse of the comma and their flippant placement of the semicolon.

I heard a story about a group of young men who stuffed their backpacks with permanent markers, white-out, and erasers and headed cross-country fixing all the errors they encountered. It seems that with every passing day I find myself longing to do the same thing.

Is it problematic that when I am singing during worship I find myself mentally ticking off the spelling and punctuation errors on the screen in front of me? Does it matter that when the words every day are put together as everyday my blood pressure rises?

I ask you, when is passion for the English language gone too far?

If you can help, please respond, and if you find grammar errors in this piece, please remember that I am sick today, and I may not have proofread the text.

Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

Debra G. said...

No, you are not wierd in that aspect. It drives me nuts to see things that are poorly printed. I've gotten better about not picking apart the mail and figuring out how they should have done things differently. It's funny that even though I've been gone from C1 for 2 years, doing quality checks on mail pieces is still ingrained.

Anonymous said...

You're an english teacher, Mrs. Looper! It's your job to be picky.

But please don't be too picky when it comes to grading our papers ;)

Anonymous said...

...that was me, by the way.
It made me send it without telling you who I am.

ashleyking said...

yes, you're weird. wanna be the "bug in my ear" on tuesday during my advanced grammar test?

Anonymous said...

Technically, you're not proofreading; you're editing. Way cooler. Editors rule the world.