Friday, January 22, 2010

Adjusting

For those of you who only follow me through my blog, I should let you know that Jake came home on Sunday. I went to the hospital for my daily visit on Friday, and being the good mother that I am, I didn't even notice that his feeding tube had been removed. I knew that something was up because the social worker from the hospital had called me Friday morning about getting Jake set up with a heart and apnea monitor for when he came home (we anticipated that would be Monday), but I just assumed he had an episode during the night and that warranted the monitor.

I was wrong.

It seems that on Friday morning, a doctor had been in the room while Jake was taking his 9:00 bottle, and she saw what an anxious eater he was and decided to forgo the protocol and advance him to all bottles. Thus his feeding tube was removed and he got to jump ahead a day.

Jason and I frantically cleaned the house Saturday morning and we went to spend the night at the hospital Saturday night with Jake. I don't suppose nesting counts once the baby has already been born, but that is definitely what we were doing.


On Sunday, Jake had to pass his carseat test. That means he sat in the carseat for an hour while hooked up to a monitor. They were making sure he could endure the ride home. He passed (obviously) and then we were discharged.

I'm posting another blog with the video of Abby meeting her baby brother. It was priceless. We had talked to her so much about him that when she was actually able to see him for the first time, she was too excited.

Here are some of the pictures from Jakes final stay in the hospital and his very happy homecoming. Now we're having to adjust to having a newborn again. I forgot how little they actually sleep! It is a sort of wonderful sleep deprivation, but don't ask me any hard questions; I don't think I could answer them if I tried.


Jake's room in the NICU. Nice TV, huh?


A sweet closeup of the baby boy.


I wanna go home, but I'm such a little boy.


What a great big sister.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, ALICIA! Praise the Lord! He's so beautiful, and I'm so thrilled he's home with you.

Unknown said...

He is so beautiful! I love his wee fingers. Congratulations!

Katie said...

He's so cute and the two kiddos together look adorable. How much is he weighing now? I'm so happy everything worked out. God is good all the time. :-)