Friday, January 22, 2010

Battle of the Bedtime

When does Abby want her mommy?

That's a great question and one that until tonight I didn't have an answer for.

You see, Abby is a Daddy's Girl. I've been told by numerous parents that Abby will go through stages, that she'll want me one week and Jason the next. I've not found this to be true at all.

Abby only has eyes for her Daddy. She wants to cuddle with Daddy at bedtime, and she wants Daddy to carry her everywhere. It's Daddy she wants when we're eating (something that's not such a bad deal sometimes).

Well tonight we found a time that Abby wants me.

We laid Abby down at her normal bedtime and she began chatting with herself. The conversation went something like this:

"I can't find my duckie. It's too dark in here. I think my duckie is in my room, but I can't see it. Maybe it's in the basket. Basketball. Soccer ball. Austen plays soccer..."

Then she began screaming for her daddy, of course.

We didn't do anything until we heard the pitter patter of little feet running to her door. Luckily, she can't open the door on her own yet, so she wasn't free to roam about the house.

Jason patiently went in, picked her up, consoled her, and put her back to bed.

Pitter patter again.

Jason opened the door and (in good SuperNanny style) put her back into bed.

Pitter patter again.

Open door, back into bed.

This went on several times, and on about time eight, I heard Abby say (because I was stationed outside the door as moral support), "I WANT MY MOMMY!"

So, here's the answer: Abby wants her mommy when she thinks that Daddy has betrayed her.

I feel so very loved.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great!!! Mine is a Daddy's girl too, but since he is rarely home because of work I do get to experience SOME of her love! I am so glad that your family is all together now and I hope that Jake and Mommy are adjusting well! The video of Abby was ADORABLE!!! She is going to make a great big sis!!! Love you girl!!!