Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Paci Detox Update


It's a good thing that I waited until just now to write this post because if I had written it any earlier, I would have told you that we were completely over the paci and that it was a thing of the past forever. I would have spoken too soon because just now as I got ready to lay the princess down for her nap, you got it, she started yelling for the paci. I'm sure two things have played into the sudden regression: 1. she spotted Jake's green, NICU paci on the bookshelf (he has two, and the one not in use, she assumed to be hers) and 2. we're having a little stomach problem/sinus junk and she just doesn't feel well.

Overall though, I've been very pleased with how we've progressed. Saturday was not the happiest day in the Looper house because in short, I'm an oldest child and Jason's a youngest. What does that have to do with taking away Abby's paci you may ask. Well, I like to plan things, and Jason prefers things to be spontaneous. The paci decision was a spontaneous thing, and I wasn't ready to let go of my baby girl having the paci. It was really all about me and not about Abby at all.

Saturday was also rough because Abby REALLY WANTED her paci. She cried for it all day and at naptime. Interestingly enough, she started to ask for it at bedtime but changed her mind and slept all night without it.

On Sunday she didn't ask for it at all and took a nice long nap. At bedtime however she decided that she had to have it and cried off and on all night.

Yesterday she never mentioned wanting it and even bragged that she was a big girl and didn't need the paci.

Today, we've not had any problems until now. Wouldn't you know that when we're in the middle of all of this, she would get sick. I was certain that the runny nose, headache and stomach problems would all cause her to want it, but it really hasn't. I'm hoping that a nice nap will help her too.

This is the box that has been hiding the paci since Saturday. She's not seen them and to be honest, I don't know that we'll show them to her.

So for all you parents who are contemplating taking away the paci from your little one, I say - I have no idea. We've done it cold turkey, but who knows, maybe there's a better way.

What's your paci story?

3 comments:

Shannon Nelmes said...

Alicia,
Hey you know I will have to weight in on this one! Kiara was also in love with her paci. At the age of 2 we decided enough was enough. The "paci fairy" came and took all the paci's away so that they could be used to help other babies. Yes I know we lied...shame on us. Sometimes you have to do whatever works to keep your sanity. I took a couple of weeks for her to get over it. Fred and I remember being very sad for her when she would lie in her bed at night and sob, "I want my paci" in that sweet little baby girl voice. Oh it brook out hearts.

So sister we know exactly how you and Jason feel. This too shall pass! Right?

Chelsea said...

Tristan had started chewing on his when his two year molars were coming in. He was our logical little first born so we told him that if he broke it, it would be all done. We knew if we just went and bought him another, it would never end because he would always know you could just get a new one if his broke or got lost. He eventually broke it, and so that was it. It made sense to him but he still didn't like it. He was able to keep the paci, he just didn't desire to put it in his mouth. It still took a couple days for him to get used to comforting himself without it, but he wasn't majorly upset
(a little sad and reminiscent, but no crying). With Jackson, we went cold turkey. It was really hard. He cried a lot and sobbed "I want my paci" at bedtime, naptime, and various points throughout each night for a week. He eventually got over it but it was hard. Sullivan has had a collection in her 'paci purse' so a few days ago when she was past her cold, I confiscated all but one. Now when she gets up, we hang it above her bed where she can't reach it. She seems to take comfort in knowing where it is, even if she can't have it. I'm aiming to go slow with her. In a week or so, we'll take it away at naps. Then eventually take it away altogether. We'll see how it goes.

Unknown said...

I know I'm not a mom but I had a friend at church who was doing away with her son's paci. She cut a slit down at the bottom where he could not see it. When he put it in his mouth he did not feel like it used to because I guess it went flat. He looked up at his mommy and said "broke" and each time he asked for it they would give it to him but he just didn't like the way it felt in his mouth. He has not asked for the paci again.