Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Typical Preemie

I've been meaning to post this blog for a while, but I'm just now getting to it.

One of the most interesting things about having a preemie is that they have their own quirks and mannerisms. I've been told - I wouldn't know from experience - that this is different from a full-term newborn. Jake's NICU nurse (and my cousin) told me these were the signals to watch for.

Here's a list of some of the things that both Abby and Jake did/do that is completely preemie:

1. Grunting/Squeaking - This may be a newborn thing, but preemies have a tendency to grunt/squeak A LOT! I don't know if it is their way of letting us know that they're here even though they're little or what.

2. Talk to the Hand - You'll see this in the picture below. When Jake is overwhelmed with everything going on around him or if we're messing with him too much, he'll put his hand up in a stop motion. This is his way of saying BACK OFF! I've taught Abby that if she sees this that means she needs to leave Jake alone.


3. Hiccups - Again, if he's over-stimulated, Jake will start to hiccup, another sign that he needs a break.

4. The Head Rub - This may not be a preemie thing, but it sure is interesting. Those of you who have newborns can try this the next time you feed your little one and let me know if it works for you too. If we're having a difficult time getting Jake to burp after a feeding, we rub his head and inevitably, this will cause him to burp. I've asked my sister the scientist to explain this to me, and she can't. It's strange but true. If you walk down the hall of the NICU at feeding time, you'll see the nurse using this technique. If it works for them...

If you have a preemie and have any other things you'd like to add to the list, feel free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! Alicia I have never seen the Preemie thing explained so well! Emma Claire did all of these...in fact she came into the world with her hand up..."Talk to the Hand" was the first thing she ever "said"!! LOL!!! That was a great post, thanks for sharing...brought back lots of memories!

MoDLin said...

Talk to the hand is absolutely right, Alicia, and I love the picture! Hiccups also are common. Good tips for Abby. Nice post for us.