Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The part of parenting I really don't dig

There is a part of parenting that I really don't enjoy. I realized my aversion for it yesterday afternoon and evening. My dear, sweet daughter fights sleep. Because of this tendency, we often have to let her scream herself to naptime. It is excruciating. I HATE having to listen to her scream.

When she was a baby, either Jason or I would run into her room at the first indication of a whimper, scoop her up and rock her to sleep. Perhaps that is where we made our first mistake as parents. Because she was so little and so vulnerable, I felt guilty letting her cry and cry and cry.

As she has gotten older, I realize that it is simply manipulation on her part. There is nothing wrong except that she wants us to hold her.

Yesterday we had screamfest for about 30-45 minutes before she gave it up. This morning, she submitted rather quickly (5 minutes or so).

I sure hope it get easier, but something deep down tells me this is the easiest it's going to get!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia, honey you are not the only one. It was worse with Emma Claire because of the face she was premature. It does get better. Emma Claire still has her moments, but they are shorter then ever. Just try to be strong...it does not hurt them to cry and yes, it is a manipulation even if they don't understand that they are doing it!!!