Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rediscovering the Joy

Lately, I've had a really hard time being motivated to spend time being still and meditating on scripture. I find myself getting wrapped up in the bustle of everyday life, and I rarely stop to slow down. There are always clothes that need to be washed, a child that must be fed, beds to be made, etc. You get the idea.

Since I've been out of school, I've made it my goal to stop in the mornings when Abby goes down for her nap, to spend some time with the Father. What a difference it makes! I had forgotten how much I love looking into his word and speaking with and listening to Him!

This morning, I was reading in one of my favorite devotional books. Thank you, Meredith for giving me a devotional that cross-referenced this one. That is how I found Streams in the Desert by Mrs. LB Cowman. Anyway, Cowman quotes AB Simpson who says, "Dear friend, God may send you some valuable gifts wrapped in unattractive paper. But do not worry about the wrappings for you can be sure that inside He has hidden treasures of love, kindness and wisdom. If we will simply take what He sends and trust Him for the blessings inside, we will learn the meaning of the secrets of His providence, even in times of darkness." She also references Psalm 25:14 which says, "The secret of the Lord is with them that fear him."

Isn't this beautiful. For many months I wondered why I had to have such problems with my pregnancy with Abby. I questioned why God would make me have a premature baby who was in the NICU for 10 days when I did everything the "right" way. God has been teaching me not to question His ways because His thoughts are not my thoughts neither are His ways my ways. He knows. I can take immense comfort in that.

Please take some time to meditate on the God of the universe today. Know that He loves you greatly.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

You're welcome! And thank YOU for giving me Streams in the Desert, which I love.

Karis said...

I look at the premature birth of Abby this way...GOD STILL DOES MIRACLES!! God exhibited his power in her little life. I was completely amazed that she was on the respirator for less than 24 hours.