Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Checkups!


Yesterday was the big day - Abby had her 3 year checkup and Jake his 6 month. Now I know that Jake is almost 7 months now, but I wanted their checkups together, so I did what I had to do. Being the brilliant parent that I am, I of course scheduled said checkups right in the middle of naptime and with a doctor that I don't particularly like, but you know me, ever thoughtful!

I could have choked on my lunch when the nurse came around the corner holding a clear cup asking if Abby could give a specimen. I mean, sure, we just learned to peepee in the potty, peeing in a cup should be no problem at all. Luckily, she took one look at Abby and said, "she probably won't go in a cup, huh?" I replied, "uh, no."

Abby did, however, stand on the scale like a big girl and even let the nurse take her height measurement. She's 28lbs (6th percentile, woohoo) and 35 3/4 inches tall (28th percentile). She going to be tall and lean - yeah right! ;-)
One thing we couldn't get out of her was her blood pressure. Even though she's very practiced at taking our bp with the little cuff out of her doctor's bag (thanks, Lena) she wouldn't let the nurse near her with the real thing.

She also struggled against the gown that she had to wear. We convinced her to put it on with the promise of a prize and the observation that her gown matched Jake's diaper. Go figure. Three year olds.

The doctor asked if Abby was talking, and I swear if Jake had been able to say words, he probably would have said, "She never stops talking." I didn't know there were any three year olds who didn't talk, but I guess it happens. Abby and the doctor then had a great chat about colors and body parts. All the while, Abby clung to my neck like it was a life raft.

When it was Jake's turn, he weighed a whopping 13lbs even (1st percentile) and was 25 3/4 inches long (13th percentile). I don't know why my babies are longer than they are fat, but that's okay.

The one concern with Jake was his persistent hives. About 3 weeks ago he broke out with unexplained hives all over his body. They come and go, but the doctor said that now we get to go to a pediatric allergist to see if we can figure out what's going on. Fun days, huh? That means sticks and blood work.

Overall, it was a good checkup. They gave Jake a bazzillion (and that's not an exaggeration at all) shots. I had promised Abby NO SHOTS when we went, and they said that she could get two boosters if I wanted to. Now what parent WANTS their child to get shots? I asked if we could put it off since I promised, and I guess we'll do the boosters when we get her flu shot. I'm already dreading it.

And that's the update.

1 comments:

Debra G. said...

I can't believe that Jake is just 2 pounds away from weighing what Brenna weighs now!!! She'll be a year old in August! The doctor says she needs to gain weight (granted they said that about all my kids) but she's got the fattest legs out of three! She just inherited my short genes! Glad to see the kids are doing so well.