Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Why I do it...

I do sometimes get some flack for my obsession with couponing and deal hunting, but I've had two very satisfying experiences this weekend that affirm to me why I do what I do in the savings department.

This backpack is packed to overflowing with things I picked up at Staples. Our church works with DSS and fills backpacks for foster kids. There's nothing more satisfying than knowing that those of us who have been exceptionally blessed can bless someone else. It was also a teaching moment when I took Abby with me to the store to get the things and then filled the bag and said, "Baby, there are little boys and girls who don't have a backpack, and we're going to give one little boy or girl this one so that they'll have one." She looked up at me with those big eyes that said, "You're kidding, no backpack, crazy!" There's no time like now to learn to think outside ourselves.


And for all of you who mocked me about the Stayfree pads I picked up several weeks ago, God knew why I needed them. I put all this stuff in a bag and gave it to a lady at our church who really needed it. There's not enough money in the world to buy the feeling of humility I felt when she told me thank you. Were I buying this stuff at full retail, I NEVER would have given it away, nor would I have a stockpile of it the other room, but since God has blessed, I can bless.

And let's not forget that I also do it for these two sweet babies who call me Mommy and for the fella that calls me Honey. Proverbs 31 says that a wife of noble character is worth far more than rubies and that "Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value" and that "she sees that her trading is profitable" and her children "arise and call her blessed." (v 10, 18, 28). That is my goal and why I do what I do.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

that is such a sweet picture of Abby and Jake! I can tell that she really loves her baby brother!