Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Is it time?

Sometimes being a first-time mother is hard! I wonder if I'm disciplining Abby correctly and if I'm feeding her the right foods. She recognizes Little Cesars and McDonalds, which isn't all bad, right?

Well, today, right in the middle of my exercise routine - not that I minded being interrupted from knee lifts and leg kicks - Abby came up to me, patted her hand on my knee, and said, "Potty, Mommy, potty." I looked at her stupidly, not sure if she wanted me to go potty or if she wanted to go potty.

Let me interject here and say that she's had a fascination with the toilet for the past few months. She loves to put "paper" in the potty and watch it being flushed down. As a matter of fact, Monday, she came to me several times with paper to put in the potty while I was putting on my makeup and drying my hair. I finally followed her and realized she was bringing me kleenexes to put down the toilet.

Anyway, I walked her into the bathroom, took off her diaper and sat her on the toilet. She didn't cry. (Usually the waterworks start the moment her butt hits the porcelain). She just looked at me, no tinkling, nothing.

Then I got her up, put and dry diaper on her and she wanted to flush the potty.

I don't know if she's ready to be potty trained or not. Maybe you smarter, wiser mommies can help me with this one.

She'll be two in July. Is it too early?

4 comments:

Karis said...

I am no mother. However, I have a brilliant neice who did the same thing. Let her set the pace right now while you determine whether or not she gets it. Once you know get her in a routine and get ready because it's on!! All you will hear is POTTY! I hope you can find training panties small enough for that little bum!

Anonymous said...

Isaac was a Nightmare...but I hear girls are a lot easier. I would go with it! Don't rush her, just let her lead and you may be out of diapers before you know it! Most people start at around 2, so no I don't think it is too early! GOOD LUCK!!!

Meredith said...

Alicia, this is exactly how I was potty-trained. My pediatrician told my mom that when I was ready I would tell her. She didn't believe it but it was true. So I say go with her lead for now!

Amanda Eron said...

Alicia, as a fellow mommy whose high points of the week centered around Rebekah getting over her fear of flushing her poop, let me just say Congratulations. Rebekah's teacher calls this stage "potty play." She says it's the first stage of potty training. My advice, keep encouraging her, certainly take her anytime she shows interest, and don't get discouraged if she does this for awhile and then loses interest for a few weeks. It will eventually click for her, and she'll start to sense when she needs to go, and start letting you know. Bribery always helps too! All of a sudden this week, after about 1-2 months of using stickers for reinforcement, Rebekah has started taking herself to the potty. She often just tells me when she's finished. That is, indeed, a beautiful thing. Keep it up, and remind yourself that you are a great mom, and you're doing a great job!