Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Life's Little Disappointments

Have I mentioned to you that Abby loves dogs?

The first time we recognized this burgeoning passion of hers was one day when I went to take dinner to a friend who had just had a baby. They have a beautiful golden retriever mix named Charlie, and when Abby met Charlie, it was true love. She jabbered at that dog and grabbed Charlie's hair and tried to give her a kiss. We taught her very early that a dog says, "Woof Woof" and she kept saying "Woof Woof" to Charlie. I think she was trying to communicate in some dog language that only she knows.

Later that week, we went to see my aging great aunt who has a little dachshund, and Abby did the same thing except we would let her grab that little dog because he isn't used to being around people.

She loves the canine species.

We decided that since she has the potential to be the next Dog Whisperer that it was time to get an inside dog. Our wonderful friends who have lots of dogs in their house recommended a Japanese Chin, and we were set.

We would get an adult from a breeder who was trying to place a dog. It was perfect.

Until.

My friend Katie got the dog to make sure it would be a match, and Sally (the Chin) barked incessantly.

"Sally's not the dog for you," Katie explained. "I'm going to kill her if she doesn't quit barking!"

That was that. I was disappointed. I expected to spend all day tomorrow with the new addition to our family, but all isn't lost!

We have hope. We may get another Chin from a different breeder, and if that doesn't work, something will.

As for now, we just keeping letting Abby watch the Sarah McLaughlin commercials about animal cruelty, and Abby keeps saying, "Woof, Woof".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know, you've blessed my socks off with your side bar lovin' :). THANK YOU!!!

xo

Debra G. said...

My neighbors dog just had puppies a week or so ago. The mom is about 18 pounds. Would you like me to ask them about a puppy? It would be about 5 weeks or so before they are weened.