Monday, August 11, 2008

Never Goodbye

Don Finley, a.k.a, Shorty Finley, is dying with cancer. I'm not sure how he got the nickname Shorty because he isn't short at all. As a matter of fact, he's a rather tall man.

Jason's dad has been dead for almost 20 years. Sometimes it's hard to believe that he died of esophageal cancer when Jason was just 13 and that I'll never know him. Shorty did know him though, and every time we come around, Short says, with a tear in his eye, "Bill was one of the best men I've ever known."

They were in the church choir together. Bill had one heck of a voice. I guess that's part of the reason Jason and his sister can sing so beautifully. Not only could Bill sing, but he also played the upright bass. He was good from what I understand. Really good. Bluegrass they say.

When Bill died, he left a hole. A big gaping hole in his family and in Shorty.

Last week, Jason and I took Abby to see him. He still has his sense of humor, and he smiled when we walked in and said to Jason, "Your daddy was one of the best men I've ever known."

It's hard to believe that if God doesn't intervene, Shorty probably won't make it to Christmas. He looked at Abby and at Jason and smiled. Abby gave him kisses.

Jason cried when we left because Shorty asked him to sing Beulah Land at his funeral. "Just like your daddy used to," he requested.

God is so good to us, though. Even in the midst of cancer and death, he is so wonderful. How gracious to allow us to go from one life to the next. How kind to provide a way to eternal life at his own expense. He paid our fare.

I love to think about what Shorty and Bill's reunion will be like. I picture it something like this:

"Shorty! I'm so glad you made it. Choir practice is in an hour. You'll have just enough time to chat with Jesus and catch up with some friends before we get together."

"I've missed you, Bill. You should see your granddaughter. She's a beauty, and your grandsons are doing well too. Your family misses you, but they're doing fine."

"I know, Shorty. I've been watching, and you'll watch your family too. God's real kind like that."

"It's so good to finally be home."

1 comments:

Karis said...

Cold chills....