Friday, August 22, 2008

The Woman Teacher With The Man Voice

My nephews started school this week. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that McKenley is in HIGH SCHOOL! I mean, wasn't it just yesterday that I was watching him at daycare? And Austen, he's got such personality; it really is amazing.

Their dad was over today to take Jason to pick up Vader (for those of you who don't know, that is what we call his big, black truck that has been sick for several weeks). Vader has been healed and was ready to come back to his driveway.

Anyway.

Apparently, Kenny and Debbie had the boys ride the bus to and from school this week so that they would know what to do should they ever NEED to ride the bus to and from school. Times have changed, I tell you.

I was always one of those spoiled kids whose parents took them to school every day. My mom was the one waiting at 1:30 when school didn't get out until 2:30 so she could be at the front of the line to pick us up.

We had it easy.

Jason didn't have it so well. He rode the bus and befriended the scary girls so that they could kill anyone who did anything bad to him.

Today, they have a bus driver and another adult who is positioned at the back of the bus to make sure that kids don't get hurt (or pregnant, whatever). Why didn't they think of this years ago. I mean, really, can a bus driver really do her job well if she is trying to keep murders from occurring on the back row?

Apparently, the adult at the back of Austen and McKenley's bus was a "woman teacher with a man voice." Those are Austen's words. I can picture her now. Big, tall, square with a slight mustache, screaming at kids.

Oh my! The joys of back to school!

0 comments: