Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Spaghetti is Gone

I HATE leftovers. I'm not really sure where or when my aversion to leftovers began, but I can tell you that today it is full-fledged. I've tried to change my leftover-hating ways, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks it seems.

I've realized, however, in the past few weeks that leftover-hater or not, I've got no choice but to eat them.

Most of the time, food that isn't eaten the first time around sits in our refrigerator until it resembles some sort of science experiment. I shudder to think how much money we could make if we just turned some of those Pyrex containers over for scientific study. We'd be millionaires, I'm sure. No doubt, there is a cure for cancer in our fridge.

We had spaghetti on Tuesday night because I was too tired to fix anything else, and I had thawed out chicken from the freezer, and I was dying to try my new grill pan.

The spaghetti was wonderful, of course, but I really, really, really didn't want to eat it again.

I asked my wonderful, creative, great cook friend Amanda what to do with leftover spaghetti other than throw it out, and she said, "spaghetti sandwiches," as if it were something that everyone made!

I'd never heard of such a thing. Spaghetti on bread with cheese? Foreign but wonderful sounding.

I did it. I made spaghetti sandwiches with some leftover bread and provolone cheese, a bit of butter and mayonnaise (my tribute to Paula Deen) and it was heavenly.

AND

All the spaghetti is gone. A miracle in and of itself considering my aversion to eating food more than once.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh my, I'm with you. HATE leftovers!

Karis said...

I don't like spaghetti or leftovers-so I would really dislike spaghetti leftovers!

Anonymous said...

I don't mind leftovers, I would rather eat it than waste it, I guess I get that from my Granny who always told us there were starving Children in Africa. Not that what we didn't eat would help them any. How exactly did you make the sandwiches, that sounds yummy!!!