Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Plan B?

Last week I was in the grocery store at the pharmacy, fighting with the folks behind the counter. Well, I wasn't really fighting as in fist punching, but I was trying to make a pharmacist, imagine that, understand the importance of filling prescriptions the way they are written.

Anyway.

I noticed as I stood there waiting a small box on the birth control shelf title "Plan B". I recognized this as the so called "morning after pill," but I didn't think a whole alot about it other than "How sad."

Well, just a minute ago, I was looking at MySpace and the banner at the top of the page was an advertisement for Plan B. It describes it as "emergency birth control," and the slogan for the pill is "Because the unexpected happens."

Incredible.

I find it difficult to believe that just because a child is unexpected means that we have the right to kill it. I mean, if I showed up at my parents house unexpectedly, I certainly hope that they wouldn't kill me. Although, my dad did draw a gun on my sister when she showed up at 3:00 in the morning without notice, but I digress. That is simply a hazard of living in the deep south.

Seriously though, the other disturbing aspect of this is the fact that getting the pill doesn't even require a prescription. According to the banner, if you are 18, you can buy the pill over the counter. No accountability, no guidance, just a pharmacist handing it to you through the window. As if it were Zyrtec or Benadryl.

I pray that my grandchildren aren't unexpected. I'm certainly glad that such things weren't around when Jason was conceived because he was unexpected. Pray for our nation and for girls and adults who view babies as nothing more than an inconvenience that can be taken care of with a pill and a glass of water.

2 comments:

ashleyking said...

wow. don't even get me started on this whole subject. holy cow...but for lack of a better comment, i totally agree with you. i was "unexpected" but i'm glad my parents didn't believe in that kind of crap. you're right..."how sad."

Debra G. said...

I can't even begin to imagine if Sarah were not around. She was totally unexpected. But once I knew she was there, I couldn't imagine not having her. I can't even imagine my life without her.