Saturday, September 6, 2008

How To Sell A Cat

My mom has yard sales all the time! It's not really that she has a lot to sell, but she has a compulsion to get rid of stuff. I guess I didn't get that from her. I HATE selling things at yard sales. I never ask enough, and I'm just too much of a pushover.

Well, this morning was that morning. Yard sale time! After it was over, I called my mom to see how she did, and I made a startling discover, she got rid of the cat during the yard sale.

I mean, I know that Dave Ramsey says to sell so much that the kids think they're next, but the cat? Really, Dave?

How did she do this, you might ask. It seems that a sweet little pentecostal lady came by to do some shopping. My mom said she knew she was pentecostal because she had on pantyhose, sandals, a skirt and a jacket. I mean, that kind of fashion statement is unmistakable.

You have to understand that my parents recently took in a stray cat. For some reason, lost cats always find their way to my parents' house, and my parents always feed them. Every cat I had growing up was a stray. That's the way we did it.

Anyway, this cat was very friendly, rubbing on your legs, wanting to come in the house, biting my mom when she fed him, things like that. The sweet little pentecostal lady, asked my mom question after question about the stray, and my mom patiently answered, not knowing that the lady was actually scoping out the yellow and white feline.

The lady left without another word about the cat but returned a while later with a cat carrier and informed my mom that she had a family meeting when she got home and wanted the cat. My mom, being the good wife that she is, went to ask my dad if it was okay to get rid of the stray, and when she returned to her yard sale, the cat lady was taking up money for bought items and making deals. Seems to me that the lady was getting a little too close!

After all was said and done, the yellow and white cat went home with her new mom, and my mom was left cat-free. At least she's cat free until another stray comes along, at which time, I guess she'll have another yard sale.

1 comments:

Amanda Eron said...

That's hilarious. Maybe you should have dropped Maddie off in time for the yard sale...she might have ended up with a nice new home!