Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tell About The South


I work with a beautiful, smart, talented, sweet, Southern Korean lady. The other day she came into my office to chat, a wonderful distraction from the mountains of papers that are currently on my desk. Yes, I realize it is only 3 or so weeks into the semester, but for some reason, papers are no respecter of date.

When Dr. Shin came in, she started to talk about her family (she has two wonderful little boys) and her church and other things. Then she asked me something really interesting. She wanted to know about Southern culture.

Hmmm....

Apparently the culture of South Carolina is nothing like the culture of South Korea. I kid, but you know what I mean.

I sat and thought for a few minutes. I didn't know what to say. You see, I've been in South Carolina ALL my life. I've taken the occasional trip here and there, and I've seen a lot of the world, but my family, my friends, my home, my life is here in South Carolina.

My family has deep roots. We've been here since the Revolutionary War or before. Jason's family is the same way. I don't think about my culture that much because it is just what it is.

So here's my question for you: tell me something about Southern culture. You may not even be "a southerner" but I'm sure you have some observations. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Southern women must read Southern Living.

"Bless your heart" is often an insult.

We use the term "character" to define people who are out of the norm. For example, two weeks ago my sister-in-law and I saw a saleslady channeling Dolly Parton from the 1980s. She was probably in her 60s, lipstick painted in a perfect V over her top lip, hair teased and bleached so much it was the unnatural shade of a golden retriever. She was a character!

White before Memorial Day and after Labor Day might be ok in high fashion, but it's not ok in the south. (I do it sometimes, though! I'm sure people are thinking, "I do declare! That poor girl has no manners.")

Manners. If you don't have them, you are not southern.

Half of us believe the flag (you know the one) you should never be seen again. Half still fly it in the back of their pick-up trucks.

Don't mess with the General Lee.

Food really is what it's all about.

Anonymous said...

I would have to say our culture is pretty big into family. I know all of my great aunts and uncle and cousins removed about 5 times, etc.

I would also agree that FOOD is big in the south.

You can gossip about anyone as long as you say bless her heart.

Things are slower down here and that is OK!!

If you don't say Sir or Maam at the end of a statement, question, etc. You are RUDE and your mama didn't raise you right.