Saturday, September 13, 2008

What Was That About a Radio Star?

Abby experienced her first high school football game last night. It was pretty significant because in a sense, it was her beginning. Easley played Pickens, and Jason and I went on our first date to the Easley/Pickens game. Nothing says, "will you be with me forever" like high school football.

Anyway, East Pickens does concessions several times during the season and those of us who are very poor volunteer to work the concessions stands in order to get into the game for free. Thank goodness on our first date, we didn't do this because it is hot and sweaty enough in the stands and much worse in a 12'x 12' brick hothouse.

Jason strapped Abby onto himself (something I don't think you're supposed to be able to do with a 14 month old, but whatever) and into the game we went. Abby lasted all of 5 minutes in the concessions area. I guess I should be clearer, I lasted all of 5 minutes in the concessions area with Abby.

After Jason handed the baby girl to me so that he could go move our car from the not-yet-open Walgreens parking lot where the cops were threatening to ticket folks who parked there (seriously?!?, I stood the heat as long as I could.

Abby and I quickly moved to the grassy spot behind the end-zone and watched the guys warm up and then Abby cheered for number 11 (her kicking cousin) and we watched the game. I'm not kidding. I would say, "Go number 11" and she would lift her two forefingers. She's brilliant. It's amazing.

Somewhere during the game, one of the local Pickens radio stars decided that it was live-feed time and all the smelly middle school boys in Pickens County gathered around him for a chance to yell a "shout-out" to whoever middle school boys "shout-out" to.

The only problem was that Abby and I were at the edge of the throng. Typically, I look at these kinds of antics and laugh, but with a 14 month old in my lap who was already unhappy and not being able to get on the ground and crawl, I was something like a mother bear who had been woken up in the middle of hibernation.

At one point, I practically had five boys falling into my lap, which was already filled enough with Abby.

The radio dj apologized profusely and then moved to the other side of the fence to keep the boys and girls at bay.

Really, didn't these children ever learn from their parents that video killed the radio star.

Shout-out!

0 comments: